Tuesday, February 09, 2010

I love School

School is so good I have learned so much in college, Humanities taught me to look at everything a little deeper, Social problems opened my eyes to how the social structure benefits some people and destroys others, Poli Sci has solidified the importance of being politically active, physical science has taught me why things do what they do and religion keeps me grounded. Today in Poli Sci we were learning about public opinion there were a few things that stuck out to me. The first concerned surveys and how people who do surveys can phrase the question to get a certain response then use that info to support their cause. I guess I never really thought about that which is rather naive of me. People will do anything to further their cause. The second issue we talked about that impacted me was voter turnout. The people who vote are generally well educated, rich , white collar, older people. Those who do not are less educated, poor, labor blue collar and young people. I asked about college kids and my professor said they are less likely because they are young and many college students live away from home so they do not feel an attachment to where they are. This troubled me, all of it. The fact that we only get around 55 percent voter turnout for national elections and way less for local elections is ridiculous. So I want to do something about it, I have a few ideas that hopefully can help. I am going to start out focusing on college students then branch out. I hope I can make some kind of impact.

No comments: